LTO Technology Provider Companies (LTOs) recently made an announcement stating that LTO generation 7 specifications can be found for licensing. This new version of LTO has double the capacity of tape cartridges, up to 15TB of storage. The LTO 7 will enable quicker transfer of big files, up to 750MB per second, thus eliminating the need for long waiting periods.
Chris Powers, Vice President of Data Center Development, said that the release of the LTO 7 will change the game when it comes to long term data archiving and storage. He also went to say the high performance of LTO technology continues to prove that cassettes are a formidable force and here to stay.
The high storage capacity and data transfer rates are as a result of a wide selection of technological progress which allow for more powerful magnetic properties as well as doubling of read/ write heads.
Reasons Why You Must Proceed To Record Storage
Should you have yet thought of moving to tape storage, here are some reasons that will shift your mind:
1. Relatively Low Costs. Although the initial installment may be costly, it can’t be compared to the quantity of electricity that disks use up. The drawback with discs is they constantly must be running, even if they’re not backing up information. That is unlike tapes that don’t need to be running continuously. Once the backup is completed, they go into standby mode. In the long run, it will help in saving costs for the business in terms of electricity invoices.
2. Dependability. When they are kept in the right states cassettes are said to continue for up to 30 years. Even though a few variables for example temperature and humidity were to affect this amount, it’s still impressive enough. Also, in this time around, cassettes wouldn’t be susceptible to file corruption or media decay.
3. Simple Replication.If copy is required, it’s a simple enough process to replicate info saved on the cassette. Also, LTO cassettes offer encryption attributes that offer better overall security of the data on the cassette.
4. Security.Storing cassettes within secure, restricted -access places ensures the sensitive data on them is kept away from any prying eyes. Also, because of the sensitivity of cassettes to external factors like humidity and temperature, they’re stored within secure places.
5. High Capacity Storage.Disc fans may be vocal about how discs offer big data storage capacities. Nevertheless, they might be surprised to find that tapes offer more in terms of storage. Currently, the storage capacity of creation 7 LTO stands at 15TB. This number could be enhanced using compression features. Meaning the capacity could double or triple.
6. Easy Storage.Cassettes provide a sizable storage capacity. What’s more is this attribute comes in a package that is relatively modest. The cartridges offer businesses a way to back up their data that is sensitive without needing to dedicate a whole room only to cater for server hardware.
offers a wide range of data storage devices, each with unique capabilities to suit your varying needs. If you need any special media, Richard Stutchbury will be there to help you. Youâre always guaranteed the best quality.